Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Week 9 - Oct 17th Post


This Week’s Readings:

O'Gorman, Marcel. E-Crit: Digital Media, Critical Theory, and the Humanities. Toronto, Ontario: Toronto UP, 2007. Print.

O’Gorman is against the dehumanization of texts through traditional processes of imitation and this is at the core of his Chapter 3 argument. As we learned in Chapters 1 and 2, O’Gorman is frustrated with the printcentrity of the Republic of Scholars (an apt name for those stuck in our current forms of scholarship and who resist change) and he continues to argue against systemic pressures that limit invention in composition in the next chapter. 

For O’Gorman, Peter Ramus represents the foundation of our current printcentric academic foci. O’Gorman resists and even rails against Ramus’ “phallogocentric history of the print apparatus” (p.47) and he asks, “might it not be possible to invent scholarly methods to [re]shape the digital apparatus?” (p.50). It is important to note here that O’Gorman does not define digitization in a traditional fashion. Instead, he quotes Morris Eaves who explains that “digitization is not a notion confined to electronic devices but a technological norm that operates across a spectrum of materials and processes. As a rule of thumb, the more deeply digitization penetrates, the more efficient the process becomes” (p.58). O’Gorman is concerned with the commerce-driven, capitalistic need to sort, organize, and encourage imitation that constrains our current scholarship – something that Ramus has represented for centuries.

On the other hand, William Blake represents a focus on invention and “chaosthetics” (p.58), something that O’Gorman argues will assist us in the necessary decompartmentalization of our current academic and composing practices. Because Blake’s political works against imitation and rigid academic expectations are carefully and artfully couched in children’s literature, O’Gorman applauds his inventive strategies that tend to “fl[y] in the face of mechanization” (p.59).

In order to encourage us to think more like Blake and to invent “new scholarly methods suitable to an age of computing” (p.69), O’Gorman cautions that “specialization is a liability” and that “multitasking, dabbling, and audodidaction are the order of the day” (p.69). He also claims that Blake “teaches us not to trust our visual sense alone – an invaluable lesson for students bombarded daily by the words and images of a postmodern mediascape in which the imagetext is the dominant mode of communication” (p.66). In terms of the classroom, I love O’Gorman’s notions of students writing WITH rather than ABOUT sources and I agree with his argument that multitasking is valuable and that students should learn not to trust any one sense but, rather, make use of all senses as much as possible.

While I do agree with much of O’Gorman’s argument in this section, I find myself a bit torn in terms of what he says and what he does. O’Gorman makes use of nonsense words like “mystory” (p.68), puns (the repeated use of ‘puncept’ for example), and he repeatedly uses visuals to make his argument for him, which works well only because he is clearly a master of traditional prose. That is, he understands the rules before he artfully breaks them (something that I often explain to my FYC students). I wonder, though, if “chaosthetics” is really the answer to inventing new methods for composition and communication. If students, unlike Blake and O’Gorman, do not understand language and are without specialization as O’Gorman advocates, will they be able to make effective arguments? Like Jen, I appreciate what O’Gorman is doing here and I even agree with him on some level but I still find myself a bit dubious towards the applicability of his arguments. 

9 comments:

  1. Hi Ti,


    To spare you the threat of an epic response (for which I find myself in the mood), I will just say that I liked how you brought up his loose quote of “corporate icons, academic visionaries, and software commercials” because I thought it was a fairly solid statement by O‘Gorman, at least concerning a portion of people and their interests. As he relates, you can ask recent grads of specific fields, and of course you will hear that specialization is a liability. Conversely, certain fields would argue the exact opposite (I’m think the medical field) as specialization, for them, is the name of the game.

    One more point……I think the growing widespread access to the internet offered through smartphones and other apparatuses allows for a greater ability for individuals to potentially foster their own widespread knowledge, one that transcends dabbling and trends more towards the cognomen growing enthusiast. I just think the internet offers people the possibility to have knowledge that is completely separate of the knowledge that former generations shared, to a greater extent, in common due to the relatively closed style of access (formal school settings, libraries, public gatherings [all isolated compared to the internet--needless to say]).

    Anyways, interesting things to consider remain on the horizon, especially if there are other “O’Gormans” out there to interpret and try to integrate in to our own individual understandings of knowledge development and the best ways to proceed maximizing mnemonic devices.

    Good luck incorporating chaosthetics,

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerry! Feel free to make epic comments - I like them. :)
    I do think that O'Gorman's point against specialization is an important one since his argument resists the idea of compartmentalization at all levels. While I agree that we should be really careful with "pigeon holing" students, academics, and the like, I do think that SOME specialization is required in about every vocation.

    I also like that you bring up the idea of knowledge via the internet. To me, this is one of the great advantages of our time and the idea that information is literally at our finger tips is amazing! O'Gorman talks a lot about invention throughout the book but especially in Chapter 3 and I'm wondering what you think about invention as it relates to the internet. Do you think it stifles creativity or fosters it? I tend to lean towards the idea of fostering invention since I've seen some pretty amazing and innovative work pop up from users of all ages (including kids).

    Thanks for the encouragement on chaosthetics! I'll need it, I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there,

      on invention: I'd say the internet has expanded horizons instead of limited them. But thanks for encouraging epics!

      Kerry

      Delete
  3. Hey Ti!
    Great post, I find it interesting that both you and Jenna consider what O'Gorman says on p. 66 in regards to the senses. I am, however, quite interested in what you bring up in regards to language, composition and "chasoasthetics". I'm with you in wondering if chaosthetics is a an answer to new methods for comp and communication, do you think though, that there are other less disruptive, but just as effective ways of composing and communicating? I think what we should perhaps consider is what we call an "understanding of language"--I was reminded of the NLG article as well as the CCCCs Student Right To Their Own Language (although the latter was not a part of our readings for this class). That said, I think most students have an understanding of language, but that this understanding does not necessarily fit the academic mold (binary) of composition.

    This is a bit of an aside and probably teeters into a linguistic perspective, but I wonder if there is a way to balance the way students speak to the way they write and create arguments. I think that students have a grasp of spoken language, but this is obviously very different from the way they are expected to write. What are your opinions on any of this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aminah!
      I sure hope that there is an alternative to chaosthetics! Call me old fashioned but I still think that, regardless of the composition, writing needs to meet the needs of the audience on some level and, in most cases, this means having some sort of organizational structure to follow. I think we can balance students' own language and voices (I'm so glad that you brought this up) with audience expectations. If fact, I think we should be ENCOURAGING students to use their own voices and to take some calculated risks - as long as they are fully aware of the consequences of misunderstanding. I would really love to see a lot change in academic writing: more collaborative work, a variety of voices and formats (depending on the task at hand), and an overall willingness to try new things! There are, though, just some elements of writing that are essential if someone is going to read it.

      As for your last paragraph, I'm working really hard to incorporate more of a variety of assignments into my FYC course. The informal assignments allow students to use their own voice a bit more and the oral assignments that we do in class absolutely encourage this. I also do some multimodal work where the alphabetic text may be fairly formal but the medium doesn't have to be. I like the idea of having students write really formal (Researched Argument Essays) but then also do really informal stuff in the same class. Like O'Gorman, I try to resist over classification but only to a certain extent!

      Delete
  4. Hey Ti,

    IS O'Gorman a master of prose? Not to be overly negative (okay, maybe that is my intention) but I found his turns of phrase to be at best harmlessly cute and at worst deliberately misleading. I mentioned some of his contradictions in my comments to Adam, but to sum up I felt like he was guilty of the same binaries that he was accusing others of fostering (his implication that his students were lazy for not reading a certain interpretation of Blake's etching on page 64, for example).

    Do you think he actually accomplishes anything by breaking the rules of traditional prose? For me (and I could be wrong) it was more of a misdirection to hide the simplicity of his argument. It's an argument that I agree with, but still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacob!
      Ok - not a MASTER of prose but, I would argue, he is certainly more masterful than many in a number of ways. Perhaps I'm thinking of folks like my students who would be completely sold on this stuff just because he's able to manipulate words in a variety of ways.

      To answer your question about rule breaking, no, I don't think he accomplishes much by breaking the rules. I found it distracting and tiresome. I do think that, despite what he says, O'Gorman is very cut and dry in what is right and what is wrong for him and that is, most certainly, binary.

      I am trying to appreciate what O'Gorman is doing but, after reading Chapter 4 this afternoon, I don't feel any closer to buying what he's selling. Like you, I agree with his core argument but I'm having a hard time with what he's doing here.

      Delete
  5. I'm also worried about FYC issues. But, if I could try to make sense of what's going on here... er, try to make sense with what's going on here? Either way.

    I never feel like I'm successful at teaching my students how to get in the boat of academic composition so they can proceed to rock it. I wonder if "chaosthetics" and "heuretics" and "hypericonomy" and consternating prose really could be tools we give our 101 students (shortly before being shown the door, I mean). I mean, Erikson's (the development guy, not our boss) theory of identity development says we need to encounter a crisis and make sense of it in order to develop as a human being, and that crisis (or contact zone, to use a phrase out of a Cross Talk chapter) could be encountering a wholly new way of understanding and expressing thoughts. Vygotsky (sorry, EdRes class coming through here) used "zones of proximal development" to describe the way we move from things I know to things I can make sense of. If we were always teaching that just-out-of-reach chaos, would our students naturally reach and find a "middle ground" in normal looking prose that did more than summarize/write about other texts? Or, would the resulting confusion in our students cause the class mutiny that grad students can never muster, no matter what their Facebook posts say?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matt! Maybe THAT'S my problem! I'm trying to find some sort of practical use for what O'Gorman is talking about. It is, really, the only way I can get through theory but sometimes it makes me crazy.

      You bring up a good point about crisis as a means of growth. The idea of Pratt's contact zones makes sense here and I do think that there may be some good that could come from "chaosthetics" in this way. I find, though, that my students are often struggling so much with just coming up with ideas or learning how to use the library that I just can't imagine asking them to really struggle through this. I'm wondering if a more appropriate ZPD (Vygotsky) might be in a class AFTER FYC. Maybe an upper division class where students aren't struggling with college life + academics?

      Delete